Digital Director Job Description
Do you like Mad Men? So do we. We also like Arrested Development, but it doesn’t mean we want to open a banana stand. Marketing isn’t like Mad Men anymore.
Magneti is looking for an experienced marketing leader to fill the role of Digital Director. Our Digital Directors lead our clients and teams to deliver top-end marketing strategy for regional, national, and global customers. This role also works directly with our Marketing Managers to provide teammates with direction and strategy for various campaigns, channels, and platforms. This role will report to our VP of Digital. This role is tasked with owning client relationships, project profitability, and growing those relationships over time. Our Digital Directors typically have 8+ years of experience in marketing.
We obsess over culture. Our entire team lives by our “Three Laws of Gravity”: 1) Over-communicate 2) Nail the details and 3) Have fun. Bottom line – Magneti’s an awesome place to be, and we love growing our team.
At Magneti, we hire leaders in every role. Leaders create momentum, plow through bottlenecks and roadblocks, take ownership of the situation, and creatively problem-solve how to continually move things forward even when the situation isn’t ideal. The Digital Director role has big responsibility for lots of revenue and projects. If that sounds like fun, let us know.
Magneti is a digital marketing agency based in Colorado. We are laser-focused on helping our clients grow by better understanding their audiences and effectively making connections between them. We are digital-first marketers who chase problems upstream. Our four-phase approach covers research, brand, websites, and marketing.
In the past couple of years, Magneti was honored with the following accolades:
- Top Digital Marketing Company: Selected as the top digital marketing company in Colorado by Colorado Business Magazine
- Listed on the Inc. 5000 for 2018 and 2019: Inc. Magazine’s list of the 5000 fastest-growing companies in the country
- Best Companies To Work For: Finalist in smallest business category, hosted by Colorado Business Magazine
- Entrepreneur 360: Entrepreneur Magazine’s list of best 360 small companies in the country
About the Position
Digital Directors thrive with skills in four categories:
- Team Leadership – This person will lead account work at Magneti, and will be flexible and focused on making their teammates and clients look like rockstars. Team leadership means that this person is a cultural influence, THE benchmark for our laws of gravity, aware of the emotional environment we create and influencing positivity and growth within the team. Teammates are equipped and feel encouraged to thrive, with a knowledge of areas where growth is needed. The Digital Director is responsible for making sure roles, deliverables, outcomes, and standards for quality are clear and understood by the team.
- Client Leadership – This person provides an ‘executive presence’: professional, clear, confident, direct, insightful engagement toward work that matters. They are obsessed with our clients’ business needs, KPIs, and finding the best solutions to deliver those outcomes. Clients view the Digital Director as an extension of their team and know they are empowered to address their issues and grow marketing results. The Digital Director understands the pain points and needs of a client, then can map those into strategies that will produce measurable outcomes. Work is delivered on time and within budget, and the Digital Director is able to course correct mid-project when team dynamics or client needs change. Client understands ROI of marketing activities, the value of their partnership with Magneti, and the ability to grow together. Digital Directors can navigate difficult conversations around finances, organizational dynamics, executive buy-in, board presentations, and saying no with tact. Must have a clear and demonstrated ability to grow relationships and identify new opportunities consistently with clients.
- Marketing Leadership – The Digital Director has a mastery of marketing fundamentals and strategy, with a deep knowledge of marketing, frameworks, models, and tools – and when to use them. They identify, drive, and coach excellent work, integrating different expertise and knowing when skills live inside and outside of the team’s ability to deliver. Digital Directors bring innovative strategy and ideas to the table, along with a willingness to introduce, own, grow, and scale new programs and applications of marketing strategy at Magneti. Digital Directors also own processes at a leadership level, empowered (and expected) to identify inefficiencies and champion improvements.
- Sales Partnership – The Digital Director works on sales in two primary ways:
- Growing Current Accounts: Digital Directors identify new opportunities with current clients to grow their accounts, bringing fresh ideas and partnership opportunities to the table. The Digital Director has a proven ability to build solution architecture by mapping client pain points to marketing solutions. This person is also able to establish a knowledge of available internal resources, map costs to activities, and is able to think through future capacity planning for project delivery in collaboration with the leadership team and the Marketing Managers.
- Support the Sales Team with New Business: The Digital Director also partners with the sales team in conversations with prospective clients to drive new business. Digital Directors have the ability to drive sales from start to finish: moving from prospect, to qualified, to scoped, to signed, to invoiced.
Digital Directors at Magneti:
- Lead work for Magneti clients
- Lead teams of Marketing Managers, Marketing Specialists, and contractors
- Lead and partner with clients to drive marketing success, growth and new opportunities
- Can analyze data and turn it into a clear, understandable story for clients
- Master marketing fundamentals and frameworks, confident in taking client pain points and mapping them to the right solutions
- Innovate by championing new programs, approaches, and tools, and skill sets to drive marketing results
- Lead processes and drive change to fix inefficiencies
- Lead teammates with encouragement, positivity and enthusiasm, with clear feedback and transparency into areas that need improvement
- Oversee budgets, timelines, and margins on client work
- Deliver work on time and under budget
- Ability to pivot mid-project when team dynamics or client needs change
- Confident in facilitating hard conversations internally (with leadership and team) and externally (with client and stakeholders) around finances, tension, team dynamics, client dynamics, and standards of quality.
- Confident in guiding client marketing and earning buy-in on a roadmap for 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, and sustainable long-term success
- Bring new tools into the mix
- Work with the Magneti team to assist in daily operations and respond where support is needed
- Mastery of marketing frameworks like funnels, buyers journeys, personas and how to apply them well
- Leadership in core areas of digital marketing including:
- Conversion strategy
- Direct response
- Email marketing + automation
- Social media
- Partner with sales to guide prospects, map solution architectures, establish budgets, and close new accounts
Background, knowledge, skills for all new Magneti teammates:
- Proven experience managing marketing campaigns including product, persona, promotional mix dynamics
- Ability to interact with clients
- Obsess over delivering amazing work to our amazing clients
- Rigorous attention to detail
- “Lean in” attitude: drive and own things
- Flexible nature with the ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks/activities simultaneously
- Consistency; be productive and positive despite hectic weeks
- Excellent people skills with strong verbal and written communication skills
- General office skills such as scheduling, handling phone calls, email and customer service
- Computer literacy (ideally Mac proficiency)
- Digital tech savvy including cloud-based platforms including CMSes, CRMs, and other digital marketing tools and technologies
- Strong administrative, detail and follow-up skills
- HubSpot or other automation experience
- Positive ‘can do’ attitude while maintaining a high level of professionalism
- Be highly motivated, mature and eager to be part of the Magneti team
- Ability to maintain focus on priorities among multiple assigned tasks in a dynamic work environment
- Loathe incompetence
- Utilize strong skills in marketing strategy and implementation tactics
- Create a supportive, friendly and professional atmosphere with the team and clients
- Live and breathe Magneti’s “Three Laws of Gravity”: 1) Overcommunicate 2) Nail the Details 3) Have Fun
- And also live by Magneti’s “Other three laws”: 4) Make your teammates look like rockstars 5) Teach and be teachable and 6) Solve problems.
Is the Digital Director at Magneti a project manager, account manager or “client-facing”?
This is a senior leader in our Account team, with a book of accounts and is client-facing. Digital Directors have primary P&L responsibility on their accounts. Each account also has a Marketing Manager assigned to it along with the Digital Director. Marketing Managers are marketing project managers.
Is the Digital Director developing strategy?
The Digital Director can leverage specialists on the team like our Digital Strategist or PPC Specialist. The strategy for any account/project is a collaboration between the Digital Director, Marketing Manager, and specialists. The strategist helps benchmark, brainstorm, develop, create drafts and deliverables, but that strategy is shared and internalized by the Digital Director and Marketing Manager also. The Digital Director ensures that the strategy will solve the client’s business needs with the budget allotted.
This position is a full-time, salaried position with access to Magneti’s full set of benefits including health insurance, PTO, remote-first work. For a full list of benefits, visit THIS page.
The compensation is a combination of base plus commission based on account profitability. Comp package will be dependent on experience with a range of $70k+, with clear path to make six figures once the Digital Director has a full book of accounts.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and any other compelling materials showing your marketing chops and results through here.